As the ZornGL-Engine had it’s own terrainrenderer, I decided to write this tool that can automatically generate a single huge texture map for a terrain. Based on the height-values in a greyscale image (the heightmap) it generates a single texture with a given set of texture distrbuted depending on the height of the map at a certain point.
Over time the tool evolved and a lot of functionality was added, even upon user request as this tool seems to be widely used (even in some known projects). So the latest version has a nice new interface, can generate textures up to 4096×4096 pixels, renders (and if needed blurs) a lightmap depending on the sun-position and orientation and much more.
And for all those interested in maybe putting on-the-fly terrain texture generation into their own projects, I also released the source for version 1.6 (recent one is 2.0).
The idea for the generation of the terraintexture comes from a FlipCode tutorial about Terrain Texture Generation. The shadowmap generator is based on a GameDev tutorial called Fast Computation of Terrain Shadow Maps .
|Zipped Win32 executable version 2.0|
|Zipped sources for version 1.6 (Delphi)|
– Totally new user-interface (all options on one screen)
– You can now blur textures (especially useful for shadows)
– Texturesize up to 4096*4096
– Much faster gernation of the terrain texture
– Fixed a bug that caused a crash when generating the texture without lighting
– Different texture sizes
– Real-time 3D Preview (using OpenGL)
– Texturesizes now can differ
– 5 instead of 4 base textures
– Initial Release