Later than expected (partially due to a power supply failure on my PC) here’s the new beta release #190 of “Phase 2”. As usual it’s available for windows and linux.
Here are some highlights from this release, for a full list of changes take a look at the changelog :
- AI Builder for regions
- New soundtrack, including the game’s very own theme song
- New and improved sound effects
- Several improvements to the user interface / gameplay :
- Visual warnings for regions with low loyalty or high pollution levels (right to the region’s flag on the globe)
- The region list can now be sorted by different criterias (economic power, population, pollution level, etc.)
- You can now have the units placed by the computer on the battlefield (by simply ending the placement phase)
- Unit health is now displayed for deployed divisions in regional view
- Almost two dozens of fixes and minor improvements
- One of these fixes includes full support for render-to-texture on older graphics cards (earlier releases would crash in certain parts of the game)
So this release doesn’t only add to the game’s overal atmosphere with the new soundtrack and improved sound design, but also adds some finish with lots of bugfixes and small improvements to the user interface. What’s still missing from the sound design is the battlefield. Units currently don’t have any sounds assigned, but that’s planned for a future release. It’s sadly kinda hard finding military unit sounds that sound good and won’t cost any money.
Also on the list are some missing features like the whole politics area of the game (it’s partially there but disabled for the current build) and the different game modes that I intended to add at some point during game design.
I hope you enjoy this new build of “Phase 2” even more than the recent ones. And a big thank you to all the people that send me their valuable feedback on the game. That’s what actually keeps me motivated :)