Tag Archives: Video

Trugbild finished (PGD 2013 challenge edition)

The 2013 pascal game development challenge deadline is today, and Trugbild (at least the version for this challenge is finished and available to the public now).

I haven’t had that much time to work on it in the final week of the contest, but I managed to add in new content (chapters, decisions), fixed some minor issues and made some small tweaks to the game to add some polish. And though it’s not perfect and not 100% what I initially had in mind for it I’m pretty happy with what I was able to create in roughly a month. Creating a game from scratch besides an 8 hour dayjob isn’t the easiest task, so getting it finished in time and in a shape that’s pretty close to what I imagined is something I’m pretty happy with.

Here’s a short video of the game in action, though note that video compression kills a lot of image fidelity, and that the game is supposed to be played fullscreen in a dark room :

You can download it from here (Windows only, ~5 MByte).

I’ll have a page up on this page with some more detailled information, and maybe a post mortem up in the coming days, and I’m currently planning to expand the game (both in terms of content and gameplay) even further.

2012 – Final posting (and a new release)

We’re in the final days of 2012 (and the world didn’t end, who would’ve thought) and continuing my “tradition” this will be the final post of this year including different topics. So first of all I’d like to wish all my friends, relatives and readers a good start into 2013!

As for my personal situation, a lot changed in 2012 (if you’ve read last years final posting you might remember) and mostly for the positive. As of may 2012 I’m working as a fulltime Delphi Developer right around the corner (if I’m not too lazy I even hop on my bike to get there) and I’m having a real blast working over there. The working atmosphere is great, I get along very well with my co-workers, and getting paid for coding stuff in Delphi is pretty awesome too.

So as far as work goes I’m very happy right now, and contrary to what I expected first, coding all day long at work (mostly, I do other stuff there too) didn’t destroy my motivation to code at home at all. Actually it’s the complete opposite, cause I’m much more focused during coding at home due to the practices at work and a (finally) ordered real life.

So instead of bothering you with my highs and lows of this year, I decided to finish off this year with a new release of “Phase 2 (Revision #125).

This revision includes a new feature that allows you to start manual battles directly from the game’s main menu with the possiblity to complelty customize it. You can select the setting, the nations and the units for each nation. To make this feature even more interesting I also added half a dozen new maps for the manual battles.

You can grab the current release on the game’s offical page.

Update (26th December) :
I noticed that the last video showing Projekt W in motion is from november 2011 and since back then a lot of things changed and have been added, I decided to cut together a new video showing scenes from the current beta. So here you go :

First dungeon crawler prototype (HD Video)

Although it took me longer than expected I recently got a first prototype of a dungeon crawler, based on my recenlty published random dungeon article, polished up far enough to show it to the public.  Actually one of the biggest issue holding it back were the textures. It uses parallax (bump) mapping for giving flat surfaces a realsitic 3D look (it’s pretty much an extension to bump mapping), and for that technique you not only need a color map and a normal map but also a heightmap for each texture. After not being able to find good ones around the net I decided to quickly do the textures myself.

A quick overview of what’s in this prototype : As always it uses OpenGL and let’s you walk around a randomly generated dungeon. Lighting and parallax mapping are done using shaders (so there is no real limit to the number of light sources) and all physics and collision stuff is handled by a recent beta version of the Newton Game Dynamics engine. One of the new features is an included character controller that allows you to setup a physically correct playerbody that interacts with the environment within a few lines of code. But that’s not the only use of Newton in that prototype, as I’m also using it’s raycast functionality to determine visibility for the map. That was a pretty natrual choice as I already submitted the geometry of the dungeon to newton for creating a static physic body, so adding raycasting for visibility check was pretty easy and works fine.

Other than that, there is not much to say about this very early prototype. I’m still not sure if I’ll ever make a game based on all that random dungeon stuff, although I already wrote down a nice and basic game design that’s not your traditional dungeon crawler.

So in the meantime enjoy this video I just uploaded, and please watch id in HD. Sadly it’s only 30 fps (originall recorded with 60fps) but it should be sufficent to get an impression :