While working on the global project feature of “Phase 2” for Projekt W, which will include weapons of mass destruction, and therefore some explosions, I needed a nice looking explosion texture with a working alpha channel. Sadly all the freeware explosion generators I tried did not offer a way to export the animation into a format with an alpha channel and moreover weren’t very flexible at all (especiall in terms of texture resolution or grid size). Therefore I decided to quickly put up my own explosion animation generator, and also decided to release it to the public. So here you go with the all new Explosion Texture Generator (in short ExploTexGen to go in line with my TerrTexGen), which is of course freeware, and the results may be freely used in your applications.
Here is a quick summary of it’s features :
– Create countless different explosions. Each explosion is randomized and all important parameters can be changed
– Exports to PNG complete with an alpha channel. No more black backgrounds and additive blending for your explosions anymore. The result texture inlcudes a full alpha channel
– Different texture sizes (from 256×256 up to 4096×4096, depending on wether your graphics card can manage that)
– Different grid sizes for setting the number of animation frames on a texture (4×4, 8×8, 16×16)
– Use your own particle textures. Either use the included ones I made from scratch or create your own particle textures and use them
– Change the parameters. All parameters used to calculate the explosion animation can be changed to make each animation unique
– Watch your explosion within the application. After generating a texture, it’s shown in realtime together with a preview of the animation.